Saturday, January 11, 2014

Huge Striped Triangle Scarf

DSCF3848a

I don’t know what I want—maybe I want everything?  I want color, and then I want gray.  I make something vivid, and then something subdued.  Sometimes, I guess I want both together, and this little scarf is the perfect marriage of tepid and vivacious.  Okay, it isn’t little, it’s wonderfully, gorgeously, luxuriously huge. 

DSCF3847a

Those two colors look so great together—they are Seafoam and Lemongrass, both Patons Classic Wool.  I can’t get enough of that crazy citrine hue right now.  By itself, it looks like a highlighter pen, but it pairs with neutral colors so well--beside that soft, grayed-out blue, it settles down and just shimmers.  I adore it, what can I say.  I think there is some Patons Classic Lemongrass in about fifty percent of my projects.   The putty-colored yarn at the edging is Classic One Fifty in (probably) taupe; a straggler from the stash, one ball left over from who knows what.  It was just the right foil for the zing of the stripes. 

My project was inspired by this lovely thing, though I worked mine from the triangle point upward, working all the increases at the sides and then chose an edging from this book.  It used just one ball of each, and so satisfying.  Stripes.  How I love them.

DSCF3846a

I didn’t notice the chicken photobomb until just this second.  The minute anybody steps into the yard, she’s out the door, wanting to see what’s going on. 

DSCF3846a

That hen is the yard supervisor.   I step out the back door, and count three, two, one--thump as she hops off the roost, then out pokes her little head, craning around to see who’s coming and whether they have any treats.  I go in the run with a scoop of cracked corn, and she eats from my hand, and kind of hunkers down for a cuddle, while all the other hens are flattened against the back wall of the coop, flapping around and freaking out.  They don’t seem to notice the cold.  Tough little birds.  I notice the cold, dang.  I can feel it whistling through all the cracks in this old house, and it totally makes me knit enormous scarves.

24 comments:

  1. i love the knit, the chicken! and the snow! keep warm there dear kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, LOVE the header picture with the great fabric, then the whopper of a scarf , such a great color combo, the hen cracks me up and that snowy backdrop looks, well, really cold! Brrrrr, keep knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Kristen. The header pix is just so pretty... you have definitely inspired me to do more knitting and crochet this year ... thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute scarf, love the lacy edging. I've never thought of adding a border like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful like everything you do... Stay warm my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right, that bright yellow is gorgeous. I used to be a browns, beige person but am getting really addicted to brights!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the scarf, it is just right to keep you cosy and the chicken is funny too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the surprising colour combination, and the lacy edge. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous scarf! Love, love the crochet edging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the shape of your scarf and the edging is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. The colors are so fresh. I really love gray too and I'm planning a lot of it in my next crocheted blanket, to add to the ever-growing heap of blankets I can't seem to stop making.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lovely, I like that lemongrass colour too, it's wonderful. The edging is beautifully done. And just think how you would miss knitting beautiful scarves if it wasn't so cold. Stay warm, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely it turned out and you are so right....the blue offsets the brightness to just the right degree and is such a pretty combination. I also like the taupe edging and thanks you for naming the yarns and colors you used and the pattern. I 'faved" it in Ravelry and noted the book you used for edgings. I need to get a book on edgings but I do like to get one that someone recommends as books are so expensive you hate to find out later it wasn't what you wanted. I have to order online as there are no stores near me. Your farm look so wonderful and I love apple orchards. You really did a beautiful job on your shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful scarf! I love the colors; the mix of the bright and the soft are a great combo. And your chicken makes me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your scarf is lovely. Pleased to see that you haven't started knitting scarves for the hens yet!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great scarf, you are so good at choosing that colour and you never get frightened of it do you? I would put it in my basket and then bail out at the till!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely scarf - it looks so warm and snuggly (we are dying of the heat here in SA at the moment - makes me long for colder days!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous scarf - colours are great. And you have snow!! We have 38 degree C heat!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This scarf is gorgeous! I love those coloured stripes and the crochet edging is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. We had chickens when I was in high school. Two of the hens and were lovely social birds who always came to greet us when we went outside. Our first rooster did the same until he became too dignified.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love those colors together! And anything with a chicken photobomb is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous, cosy looking scarf, just perfect for the chilly weather - i love your colour choices!

    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, it's lovely! So cozy and the colors are fab!

    ReplyDelete