Tuesday, December 24, 2013

In the lane, snow is glistening

DSCF4055a

Manu.  The gum color has resolved itself back into Linen Grey, and although my final product somehow lacks the zip of the designer’s original, it still makes me really happy.  It is so pleaty!  My already-wide shoulders are made linebacker-ish, and I decided to leave off the pockets, which were part of what I loved about the design, because I was afraid of adding a pair of saddlebags at the middle-age spread, and the whole thing grew with blocking and now the sleeves are extra cozy, and all that sounds like a bunch of complaints, but really, I love this sweater.  I want to make another one now, before I forget how to do the short rows, also in gray (of course.  Maybe lavender-y, or blue-ish) in a fuzzier yarn with more drape.  Something with a bunch of alpaca in it.  Oh, swoon, that would be so great.  Always gray.  You’ve gotta know your best color, and mine is gray and all its variants.

DSCF4052a

Occasionally, there is a comment about how neat the stitches look—friends, it’s all blocking.  My knitting looks like a lunch lady’s hairnet until I block it.  Blocking saves the day.  With this one, because of all these pleats at the top, which I worried would feel like I was wearing some kind of old-fashioned stole, like a big extra lot of business around the shoulders, if you know what I mean, I wet-blocked the whole garment, and then when it was mostly dry, I hung it on the dressmaker’s dummy to finish drying, so the pleats would pull out a little, and I think it worked, though that’s also the reason it grew so much in length.  Fortunately, a little extra length doesn’t perturb me. 

DSCF4050a

It’s the details that make a design like this great—the i-cord button holes and bind off, the interesting short row construction at the yoke (though mine show more than I expected they would, it seems okay) and the deliciously blousy cuffs.  Fabulous.  The i-cord bind off takes forEVER, and you’ll need every single needle in your collection, but it’s worth it.

DSCF4051a 

It’s 23 degrees and snowing.  I whipped off my coat, handed him the camera, and said, “Make it fast, I’m already cold.”  As the snow was bouncing off my bare neck, I decided a close up of the buttons could wait until we came indoors.

DSCF4060a

They look like snowflakes, too.  I’m going now to bake some snickerdoodles and then put on my pjs and hang around waiting for Santa.  A cozy fire, some gentle knitting, and a cup of cheer await me.   Have a happy holiday, everyone! 

23 comments:

  1. This is so lovely done!!! I love your designs & knitted stuff! I wish one day I will also make such a huge project! Wonderful! Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly amazing. I am not a fan of short rows, actually I avoid them like i avoid seed stitch, two things you seem to have mastered as of late. And I agree with you, gray, gray and more gray.
    Hugs and Merry Christmas.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen
    Love, love, love your cardigan, it's just perfect. You clever thing. The pleats are so unusual and make it hang so beautifully. I love grey too. Makes me want to start knitting right this second !
    Enjoy the rest of your cosy day,
    Happy Christmas,
    Kate x
    www.justpootling.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful. Way beyond my skill level, but I do wish I could do things like this. I hope you have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely! I, too, am a sucker for grey, I just love it! Beautifully done and I adore those little buttons.

    - J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this - what a clever lady - fantastic - Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. I think it looks nice and cozy. Your buttons are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Kristen! it looks amazing! I always love when you post another one of your great projects..I made another one of your crocheted bracelets, but made a necklace. So much fun and such an easy craft to make. Oh happy day!
    Xo
    Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its gorgeous! Well done, as always! Love the colour, the details, the fit - looks fab. Happy hols! Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you and yours Kristen a magical Christmas time...Merry Merry Christmas

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the detail. A very pretty shade of grey x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sweater is beautiful! I'm glad you put in the bit about blocking. I've just started knitting again after many years and I find that my knitting sort of looks like lace!
    I hope you've had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are those the same lacy buttons from the last post when you were still deciding? They look so different on the sweater (if they are the same ones). Either way I think they really look beautiful on it!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your processing of/reactions to your project, Kristen. Somehow as you type about your projects they become less scary and more possible to me, even though I have yet to complete even a simple baby sweater : ) You persuade me to appreciate gray, and I especially love the pleats and the snowflake buttons...and the cuffs...and the yoke...and the length and the drape...and the blousey sleeves...and I am glad you left off the pockets even though you thought you wanted them : ) Bravo and Merry Christmas!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is just beautiful and so feminine looking. The buttons are perfect. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, you went with the lacy buttons! It's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The buttons look great, as does the whole cardigan! Hope you had a good Christmas and that you have a great 2014! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did this cardy post get past me! It is beautiful.They are definitely the right buttons. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely and feminine. You seems to amaze me with lovely knitting. usually I love your flair for color but this one in grey is nice too.
    And I do smile at you using the danish word HYGGE .... As a Dane i´m amazed that one of our words makes someone else think about HYGGE

    best Christmas wishes form Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely sweater Kirsten! Very feminine and fantastic color.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely cardi - but I feel chilblains just looking at you underdressed in that snow!!!! Oh The pain an antipodean feels looking at snow!

    ReplyDelete